Safely using your Lasko space heater is of the utmost importance. Here at Lasko we pride ourselves on manufacturing industry leading products with safety at the forefront of the design and operation. Lasko space heaters do a great job of providing warmth on those chilly winter days, but it is important that the heater is being used as it is designed. Below is a checklist of items to consider when purchasing a Lasko space heater to ensure your heater not only keeps you warm, but most importantly safe.
- Your Lasko space heater should be cleaned on a regular basis. Space heaters rely on proper airflow brought into, and exhausted from your unit. Here is a great article that explain how to maintain the cleanliness of your product: https://laskoproducts.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058875412-How-can-you-clean-your-space-heater-
- Your space heater should always be plugged directly into a 120V wall outlet. No cord connected devices such as, but not limited to surge protectors, power strips or extension cords should be used with your space heater. Here is a great article that explains this in more detail: https://laskoproducts.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058875152-Can-I-use-my-heater-in-a-Surge-Protector-Power-Strip-or-any-other-cord-connected-device-
- When using a space heater, it is strongly recommended you have a certified electrician test the intended use outlets to ensure they can handle the electrical draw that the unit will require. Failure to use the device in a proper wall outlet can result in Resistance Heating. See some informational items below that explain Resistance Heating in more detail:
- The plug on my heater looks like it has “melted”. What causes this to happen? - The “melted” or distorted plug is the result of a phenomenon known as “resistance heating” or “glowing connection” inside the receptacle.
- What is “resistance heating” or “glowing connection” and what causes it to occur? Resistance heating” or “glowing connection” is a form of localized electrical heating that can result when normal to high levels of electrical current pass through loose, degraded, or poorly made electrical connections, often where the house wiring connects to the receptacle within the wall connection box. This can also occur as a result of worn outlets that no longer have sufficient force to hold the plug securely, which can cause a poor electrical connection at the outlet/plug “interface.”
- What if my plug is very hot to the touch but has no other signs of melting or overheating? Your outlet likely has a poor or degraded connection resulting in localized heating internally, but may not have progressed to a glowing connection. This is commonly found as the beginning stages of Resistance Heating. You should have your outlet replaced with a high quality receptacle. If the plug is just slightly warm, this may be normal as a result of electrical current passing through the prongs of the plug.
- Can I continue to use my heater or outlet if the plug has partially melted or distorted from heat? No. Even though the heater may still function properly, exposure to a high external heat source may have damaged the internal connections in the plug. Likewise, the outlet should be replaced with a high quality receptacle.